Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dinner is Served...

At Longwood, your meal plan consists of X amount of meals in the dining hall per week, plus extra "bonus dollars" that can be used at the Student Union, Java City, Moe's and Chick-fil-A. During the first few weeks of a semester, eating at D-Hall isn't that bad. You pretty much can have something different for every meal you eat in there.

For me, my favorite meal in D-Hall is breakfast. 98% of the time I get an omelet: egg whites, a little bit of shredded cheese, ham, green peppers, and I just recently started adding in onions (yes, it was a good idea!) haha. Waffle Sticks and French Toast would be what I'd eat that other 2% of the mornings. I usually don't eat lunch in D-Hall, as I'm in class or I have just enough time to where I'd rather go back to my room and make a sandwich and watch TV or something. And dinner, well, that varies. It seems like every Tuesday night Matt and I go to Moe's for dinner, and on Wednesdays we usually go over to Chick-fil-A. Sometimes it's a coincidence, or sometimes that's planned. We try to only go to each of those places once a week so that we don't blow our Bonus Dollars super fast.

Now that we're well into the semester, when I go to D-Hall for dinner, I'm lucky if I like the pizza they have that evening (they always have pizza made for lunch & dinner). Matt finally made me realize the reason I feel like I stay hungry when I'm at school: I eat less because it's not good enough to get full off of! haha

Yesterday, February 16th was Student Appreciation Day. We had seen some fliers around school saying stuff about D-Hall dinner that night, there was a guest chef coming, etc., etc. I'll be honest, I still wasn't believing it was going to be anything that great. BOY was I wrong! Besides Thanksgiving Dinner that D-Hall provides, this was by far the best dinner I have ever had/been served in D-Hall!!!


Here are three of the four plates I had. Granted, my fourth plate looked just like the top one in this picture. They had the same cheese spread that's on the tables at Thanksgiving and I was SOOO excited that of course I had to go back and get more! On that left plate, the mashed potatoes were WONDERFUL. So, so good! I did not eat that steak, though, because it had a lot of fat (that you can't seen in this pic) and it was too too red for me. Matt was able to spare 3 bites of his steak for me to try it, and let me tell ya, that was some good steak! On the right plate in this picture is a crab cake and palenta? I thought it was grilled pineapple when I first saw it and I got excited....I wasn't thrilled to find out it was palenta. I didn't try it either.lol. The crab cake was great though! There was just so much food and the lines were outrageously long! Literally, I have never in my life seen D-Hall so packed in my entire life. Matt got the lobster dish, and I tried lobster for the first time. To put it simply, I think I have a new favorite seafood


This is a picture of the Grand Dining Hall within D-Hall. We usually eat here because it's not normally jam-packed and it's typically a lot quieter than the other sitting area. However, "the Grand" was just as filled as anywhere else. I ended up hearing from a couple of my residents that walked by my table, that they were just waiting for a table to open because there literally wasn't anywhere to sit! I could not believe it!


I saw this happening and just had to take a picture. I wasn't try to randomly/creepily take a picture of this guy; I don't even know who he is. This is where you put your dishes and silverware when you leave D-Hall. There are two trays on the end for silverware, you put your dishes on the conveyer belt and you go on your way. However, there were so many plates that people were stacking their plates everywhere, even in the silverware trays! I felt bad for this guy because he was trying to take the tremendous amount of plates and hand them back to the kitchen staff, but people just kept coming up piling more plates! It was never ending!

What was also a plus about this dinner? We got to see Faculty members in person, and outside of class. Even President Finnegan and his wife were serving us food! Then there were others, like Tim Pierson, who we get numerous emails from during the week, but we never know who they are! haha.


Just to repeat myself, this was the best dinner I've ever had in D-Hall!!! There was an article written in The Rotunda, Longwood's Newspaper, and if you'd like to read the article, go here :)

And here are some photos from the Dine Longwood Facebook page.

The cake was on the biggest dessert table I have ever seen in my life!!

President Finnegan and the First Lady cutting the cake!

Them serving food..

3 comments:

Nina Diane said...

looks fun...and glad you had such a nice dinner!

Lindsey said...

I think it's funny that you took pictures! Ahaha!

Toyin O. said...

Very nice pictures, looks like a lot of fun:)