Monday, October 16, 2017

Making Time to Slow Down

I haven't felt 100% in over two months now, and it has been draining.  Once I started recovering from one thing, something else came up, and it's just been that chain reaction since the second week in August.  I know there are people who deal with a lot more than I do, health wise, and more power to all of you--I don't know how you do it with a smile on your face most of the time.

What I've realized during this time is that you don't realize how much energy it actually takes to do something, until you don't have all that energy.  Or, you don't realize which muscles you really use for coughing and sneezing, until you've pulled all those muscles and can hardly move.  But, from all this, I've actually had to MAKE myself chill out, do some things a little bit slower than usual, and actually relax.  I know, it's hard to relax in today's time. Heck, even laying down to relax isn't as relaxing as it sounds, because some days, I can barely pull myself up to sit...and then I laugh at myself.

The Type A side of me created a daily checklist for us to use each day to make sure daily tasks get done and we're better prepared for the next day (although, there are still some mornings I'm rushing Marshall out the door because I somehow got us behind, haha).  In the beginning, it was great, and we were checking things off the list left and right.  But, I've had to remind myself lately that simple things like unloading the dishwasher CAN in fact wait until the next day.  All those ants will still be in our kitchen regardless of whether or not there are dishes out.  Haha.

Side note: I cleaned our kitchen and every last thing in it this morning, and I swear we have more ants now than before.

And don't get me wrong, I still love our lists, but I'm just also getting a little bit better about not being as hard on myself if there are unchecked boxes when I'm heading to bed.

So, this post isn't to get everyone to write "hope you feel better or anything," but instead, I hope it's a reminder for you to take time to slow down for yourself.  The dishes will be there tomorrow.  Watch another episode of Mickey with your baby...they're only a baby for so long. (How do I have an almost 2 year old?!)





No comments: