Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Reminder to Self: Don't Forget to Enjoy the Little Moments

On the way to work a few week's ago, I randomly started thinking about our family's beach vacation 14 years ago.  We went with my aunt, uncle and cousins, and first of all, I remembered the car ride down with many funny memories and inside jokes we still make reference to.

*Let me just go ahead and add this note here, that sometimes I have no idea how things so random can pop into my head. Haha.

I remembered a time when my cousin and I were out in the ocean, jumping waves like we loved to do, and we said random phrases like "flying fig newton" and "building a barn for a sick water buffalo."  As I touched on above, we have countless inside jokes that make us laugh and probably sound ridiculous to others!  I remember we just laughed and laughed and stayed out in the water for hours just playing.

But then I suddenly remembered something that stuck out to me the most about that trip: neither my cousins, my sister or I had a cell phone on that trip.  EVERYTHING we did that week, we lived in that moment.  We had cameras, but I don't think we stopped every five minutes to take a selfie, or post on social media about our trip.  Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure social media wasn't even "a thing" for us then.  We just enjoyed being there and being with each other.  We had random dance parties at night.  Some of us (not saying names!) grabbed someone's wallet and chased the guy selling frozen lemonade down the beach, because they had literally been trying to get some all week.

More and more, I'm trying to be on my phone less.  It's definitely hard to do when I do 90% of my LuLaRoe business ON my phone.  Whether that's sending invoices, scheduling posts, responding to customer's sold" comments, it's all done on my phone.

I also don't want to forget how cute Marshall looked carrying his lunchbox in when we got home from daycare, or how messy he was after having spaghetti for dinner, so I take tons of pictures of him daily.  (I'm trying to be better about printing them, but I'm definitely still slacking in that area.)

So while there may be times where I do find it important to be on my phone, I'm trying to spend less time mindlessly on my phone.  What does that mean?  Not as much game time, and not as much Pinterest searching...not that I ever made the crafts and recipes I pinned, anyway.

And these are the moments I don't want to miss out on: when he falls asleep while reading his coloring book (yes, reading), and he'll rarely fall asleep while laying with me, so a picture is a must.


No comments: