Thursday, January 4, 2018

2018 Word of the Year

With the new year, I've seen a lot of people choosing their "word of the year."  At first, I wasn't going to choose one...because it would be "one more thing to keep up with"...when I'm trying to eliminate things to keep up with and/or remember.  However, the other day, it just kind of hit me that I would choose a word, and this is what it was going to be for the rest of 2018.

thankful.

I always try to be a more positive or optimistic person* (but I know I'm not 100% of the time, haha), so I thought this would be a good word to start with.  I think this word will help me the most on bad days--even on those bad days, there's something positive that we may not always think about right away.

For example,

I had a terrible day at work and nothing went like I wanted it to, but I'm thankful I have a job to financially support our family.

I was stuck in traffic and everyone forgets how to drive when it's raining, but I'm thankful I have a car to get me places.

The kitchen is a disaster after dinner and I have no desire to clean up, but I'm thankful that we had all the food we needed to make dinner.  I'm also thankful for an awesome husband who does the majority of our cooking. :)

It's 2:00 am and I'm so tired and don't want to go upstairs and get Marshall's paci that he threw out of the crib, but I'm so thankful for him in more ways than I can count.

So, if I can stay in this mindset all year--and we'll see how much it happens--then hopefully it will be a good year!

Did you choose a Word of the Year for 2018?  If so, I'd love to know what your word is!

*The week of our wedding, we had a hurricane come through Richmond. I'm talking rain, rain, and more rain!  We were planning on an outside ceremony and cocktail hour, and three days before the wedding, Matt and I had to decide on whether or not we wanted a tent put up.  Well, we voted "no" and got some crazy looks for it, haha.  But, come Saturday afternoon, it might've been extremely hot and humid, but it wasn't raining!  I think this is the MOST optimistic I've ever been in my life. haha!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Meanwhile, your mom was in complete panic mode worrying about the weather! LOL It turned out beautifully! I like your word of the year. We all have so much to be thankful for, but take so much for granted.