Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Cunninghams

When we went to Longwood last weekend for Abby's birthday, we also drove to campus so we could see some of the changes that are being made on campus.

If you don't know, The Cunninghams are (were?) a residence hall in the middle of campus..the perfect distance to anything you need on campus.  This is where I was a RA my senior year at Longwood...right inside the two sets of front doors was my room.  All of my years at Longwood were great, but the year I lived in the Hams was probably the best!  I LOVED the picnic tables out front, overlooking part of Brock Commons, and I loved when the weather was perfect and I could study outside. It was fantastic!!  I loved being on duty with awesome staff members, and doing rounds at 7...9...12...and sometimes 2.  Our staff was so much like a family.  Speaking of family, Abby actually lived in the Cunninghams this year, as well.  I thought it was so great that her first year there and my last year there we ended up living in the same resident hall--that wasn't planned!

When I graduated and it was time to head home for good, the Cunninghams was the last place I was. On May 12, 2012, when I left Longwood, I left from the Cunninghams.  (Yes, this is turning into a sappy post, but oh well.)

But, with time comes renovations and progress.  This year, the Cunninghams were torn down to create a space for the new Student Union. 

Luckily, with the construction going on, there have been opportunities to get your own personal piece of the Cunninghams.  Abby so wonderfully got two bricks for Matt and me.  Even though they look like just bricks to anyone else, we know what they really are!  Also, Abby's senior class is doing a fundraiser where you can purchase a piece of the hardwood floor from inside the Cunninghams with an engraved plaque on it (which reminds me...I need to purchase mine ASAP!).  Who knows, the piece I end up with could have been the floor in my bedroom.  It probably won't be, but you never know.

Here are a couple pictures of the Cunninghams from August 2012.
In the picture on the right, you can see the picnic tables I mentioned.


And now, there isn't much left!


This is how the lack of my last Longwood home made me feel..
 

This sign was hanging on one of the fences, of what the new Student Union will look like from the parking lot we were in.


I know we'll be going back at least once this Spring, but I'm looking forward to going more in the future to see the progress of this building, and then of course, the final product!!

No comments: