Monday, April 29, 2013

When one door closes, another door opens

Well, in my case, it's kind of the opposite: When one door opens another door closes.

But I guess the original saying could also apply to where I am right now.

As you might know, I started subbing in January. I lovvvvved it.  Much to my surprise, I fell in love with being at middle school and spent many of my subbing days at Elko Middle School.  Actually, for the past month or so, I was at Elko almost every single day.  It was so nice going into a familiar school everyday, get to know so many of the teachers and staff members, as well as get to know the students better.  Even though I did start subbing in some seventh grade classes, I always got to come back to the sixth graders I had so much fun hanging out with!

Last Tuesday, however, I did not sub.  I actually had to ask to not be scheduled that day because I had another arrangement made: an interview.  So, on April 23rd, I went in for my interview, and I felt relieved when I completed the interview because I was so nervous!!  Two days later, on Thursday, I started a game of phone tag with a lady from Human Resources.  On Friday, while I was subbing at Elko, I had to step out of my classroom to go outside {and get locked out of the building...} and try to
call Human Resources again.  I spoke with that lady several times throughout the day, and by 12:30 pm Friday, I had been offered a job.  That being said, when I went into Elko Friday morning for just another day of subbing for the Eagles, I had no idea that it would be my last day.  I mean, I already had future jobs lined up!  So, it was quite a bittersweet day at Elko, as I was sad to leave so many people I had really gotten to know, but on the other hand, I was moving to a better position. {And I will still go back to visit of course :) }

That's what I meant about one door opening before another door closes: I was offered the job, and then realized I wouldn't be at Elko anymore.

Today, I went in for Orientation, finished completing all of my paperwork, and went to my first day at work!

So, six weeks before the wedding, I finally have a full-time + benefits job! I hoped it would happen before the wedding, and now there's one less thing I have to worry about!

I'm sure you're probably wondering what I'm doing now..

I'm now an Office Assistant in the Main Office of my alma mater--Varina High School.  It's so crazy to be back at Varina on a different side of things, but I'm very excited about it! :)

1 comment:

Nina Diane said...

congrats Mallory!!! yay yay yay!!