Thursday, March 14, 2013

Happy Pi Day!

Today while I was subbing, the question of the day on the announcements was, "What languages does the symbol for Pi come from?" It was all I could do not to laugh when someone said, "Albert Einstein!" Why was that so funny? Because last time I checked, Einstein was a person, not a language. Oh me, oh my!

During high school --I believe it was my sophomore year-- we had a contest to see who could memorize the most digits of Pi.  I was not the winner, but I was kind of proud of myself for memorizing about 90 digits of Pi {talk about retaining useless information, haha!}.  I forget how many, exactly, I memorized, but it was somewhere in that ballpark.  Now, all I can remember is 3.141592653589.  Maybe I should try to memorize all of those again! haha

I was pretty excited when I realized I come into my class room today --fortunately, a math class!-- and right beside "Miss Pendleton" on the board, I could write, "Happy Pi Day!!"  I was even more excited when I was told I get the same "Pi Day Perks" as the rest of the faculty and staff.  So, what did this mean? FREE PIE!! There was a pie contest that any of the teachers could participate in, and let me tell you, there were ALL kinds of piess! This morning, while a co-op teacher was in my class, she told me to go get some now, because if I waited until planning period, it'd all be gone! I snagged a piece of chocolate pie, key lime pie and chocolate-peanut butter-pretzel pie to save for lunch, but I took a bite of shepherd's pie before leaving the teacher's lounge! {As soon as you walked in the teacher's lounge, ALL you could smell was the shepherd's pie and it was AH-MAZING!} THEN, for lunch, they ordered pizza [pie] for teachers/faculty! Even though I was looking forward to the lunch I packed, I could pass up some free food & dessert!! :)

Yesterday, one of my favorite math teachers {and also the teacher that had us learn digits of pi!} posted a link to a bunch of funny Pi pictures.  I thought I'd share a few of those, as well as some others!  The following pictures are from the site Mr. Tyler shared:


And here are some others I found, along with a couple interesting Pi facts!


The current Pi Champ memorized 42,195 digits in 1995. {Yeah, I can beat that, right? haha}
 

Oh, I see what you did there:
 

"I prefer pi" is a palindrome.


Now, if you have that song stuck in your head, you're welcome.

Happy Pi Day!!

No comments: