Monday, March 18, 2013

Shamrock the Block

About once a week, Matt and I go out and do something fun.  It usually falls on the weekend, as he gets off work at different times each day during the week, and we are just both really busy!

This past Saturday, we went to Shamrock the Block in downtown Richmond.  Of course, every year this event comes around, but neither of us had ever been before.  We went right at the beginning of the event (we each already had plans for later in the day) and stayed for a couple of hours.  Maybe that time frame isn't as much "fun" as it is later in the day, but we both had fun!

And you know, I was expecting to see many people dressed up in green, maybe even a few people dressed up as leprachauns, and then you have all of the green, mardi-gras type bead necklaces, but the beads are really shamrock-shaped.....but I never dreamed I'd see so many crazies in one place.  Yes, I expected to see them, don't get me wrong, but there were some people I saw and I thought to myself, "you really thought you looked okay to go out in public? You're wearing shorts and a tanktop; your entire body is orange, but your face is white....?" Yes, I really saw a lady who fits this description!  But, on to the fun stuff!

We enjoyed a yummy barbeque lunch from the Halligan's Bar and Grill tent set-up.


We watched an Irish Dancing group, which of course, was one of my favorite parts of the day.


We listened to some fun musical groups.


We walked through the streets of Shamrock the Block three or four times...haha.


We walked past one of my favorite places in Richmond, Main Street Station.


And we also saw so many cute little puppies and dogs!!  
There was one dog that had some kind of bag hung over its back, and to me, it looked like it was wearing two fanny packs.  After walking past the dog and its owners, I turned to Matt and said, "Okay, it's a dog. NOT a camel."  Sorry, that's just my opinion!

Oh, and we saw Santa!

Yes, you read that correctly.  "Santa" was there, dressed in green overalls, and was wearing a green Santa hat! I wish I had gotten a picture of him, but he did park his truck right near where we were parked.  {I guess it would've been too much to bring the sleigh down in March.}


No comments: