Friday, October 25, 2013

Food For Friday: Fall Chex Mix

When it comes to food, especially food I find on Pinterest, I'm usually better at what I find to bake, than the things I find to cook.  Yes, there's a big difference. haha. When I bake things,  there's a much higher percentage that it will actually turn out right!

As soon as I saw this recipe on Pinterest, I knew I was going to try it!  Now, the recipe really calls it Halloween Chex Mix, but I changed the recipe just a little bit, and it turned out looking more "Fall" than "Halloween." haha.  You'll see!








Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces of white chocolate chips {or vanilla candy melts}
  • 4 cups of Corn Chex cereal
  • 2 cups of bite sized pretzel twists
  • 1 cup of candy corn M&Ms  --here is where I changed the recipe.  I didn't want to use candy corn M&Ms, because I don't think you should mess with the flavor of M&Ms, so we just used the Fall color mix of milk chocolate M&Ms.
  • 1 cup of candy corn
  • 1/4 cup of orange and black sprinkles


Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine Chex, pretzels, candy corn and M&Ms. I added the sprinkles in this step, even though the directions say to do it later.


2. In a microwavable bowl, microwave white chocolate chips uncovered in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted and smooth.

Now, here's where the problems started. This first picture shows what happened after I followed those steps microwaving the chocolate to melt it...FAIL.


So, Matt told me a way to try and double boil it. The same thing happened. FAIL.


But, by Matt being Matt, he was able to fix ALL of that chocolate to make it usable {and edible!} for the final product.

3. Pour the melted chocolate over the mixture and mix until it's all evenly coated.  This is where the recipe initially said to add the sprinkles in.  You'll also see that we use more than just orange and black sprinkles!

4. Spread the mixture out over waxed paper, until the chocolate sets.  It took about 30 minutes for ours, I think.


We bought this great jar at Michael's {with a 50% of coupon, of course}, and I think the Fall Chex Mix looks nice in it!


Hope you enjoy!
Happy Friday!!

No comments: