Monday, September 2, 2013

Married Life: Adjusting to new schedules

Once we were married, we knew that we'd have to get adjusted to each others' schedules and would have to figure out a schedule that works for us.  Actually, we had been thinking about this long before the wedding, as our work hours were drastically different.

For those of you who don't know, Matt wakes up at 4:30 for work and is gone before the sun comes up.  Because we're in the same room, his two alarms naturally wake me up, as they should.  They're just doing their job.  Most mornings, after we both wake up, and he gets ready for work as I stay laying in bed, I'm usually up for the day.  Over the summer, that was fine, because I didn't have a set schedule, as I had the summer off.  Now that I'm back at work, it's sometimes a problem.  I'm now waking up about two hours earlier than I need to be, to have an adequate amount of time to get ready.  However, I do get out of bed earlier intentionally, so that I don't have to rush, I can finish packing my lunch if I need to, and to make sure my blog post is up for the day ;)

For those of you who do know us, you know that Matt enjoys cooking and does most of the cooking at our house.  Over the summer, though, I did make a few meals.  Granted, they were all crock pot meals, but hey, they were edible and they were good!  Most days, Matt would cook as usual, or some days I needed to make sure I was at home with enough time to thaw meat for dinner, or to start preparing something to have it ready for Matt to cook when he got home.  Other days, when I would try new recipes in the crock pot, he didn't have to worry about a thing {except for me calling him a lot, because I was so sure the food was burning or wouldn't be edible, haha}.

Over the summer, Saturdays and Mondays were our sleeping in days!  {Yes, even Mondays! Matt works 4 10-hour days, so he had Mondays off, which meant three day weekends for us! :)  LOVE that during the summer!}  Well, for me, I usually get up between 7:00 and 7:30, and just go into the dinner to watch TV or something.  I know Matt has longer work days than I do, so I don't want to be up bothering him, so I get up and do my own thing.  He may not wake up for a few more hours, but it's okay.  I get some blogging done for the week and watch Boy Meets World on ABCFamily! haha.

Regardless of when we get up or when we get home, or who has a day off when, we always come home to each other at night, even if we only get to spend about 4 hours today for the day {which happens more times than not}.  So, our schedules might seem all over the place at times, but right now, I wouldn't have it any other way.  Well, maybe I'll take that back and say I wish it were still summer, so we could enjoy more three day weekends today. 

Speaking of three day weekends, Happy Labor Day! and a day early....Happy Back to School Day Tomorrow!!

No comments: