Thursday, January 10, 2013

A reflection on my freshman year

For my freshman year at Longwood, I did a random roommate selection, which I guess is basically self explanatory, but it meant that I would just get placed in a room with another student who had similar answers on the short questionnaire we took at Orientation.  The questionnaire asked questions like, "do you like to study late at night?" "do you prefer studying early in the morning?" "would you live with a smoker/nonsmoker?" etc, etc.  There weren't many questions, but those who the kinds of questions asked.

Luckily, not only was I placed in a room with someone who answered similarly to me, but I would later find out that I was rooming with someone SO MUCH like me!! Once we found out our roommates, Colleen emailed me to schedule a time for our families to go out to dinner and meet each other.  I happened to be in Florida on a mission trip when we got our assignments, so I still remember Mom texting me telling me my roommates name. Then I was anxious to get home so I could get in contact with her!

I think it's safe to say that I couldn't have asked for a better roommate for my first year at Longwood.  We had such similar study habits, daily schedules, favorite TV shows, favorite movies, favorite interests....it was crazy how alike we were!!  We still even think alike....we got engaged within just a few months of each other, and without knowing, we chose almost the same date! She and Adam got married last June 9, and this year, Matt and I are getting married on June 8!! Same weekend!!  And even though we had so much in common, we still introduced each other to knew things.  For instance, I will forever be grateful that Colleen introduced me to watching The Biggest Loser!! I can't believe that I never watched it until she showed it to me!

When Biggest Loser was on, every Tuesday night our entire suite -Colleen, Jordan (my sophomore roommate!), Sam and I - would gather in mine & Colleen's room to watch Biggest Loser! It was SO much fun! We all had our favorite contestants, and of course those we couldn't STAND to watch! (everyone has those, right?!).  And then, there would be the irony of the night while we're sitting there watching these people's progress of losing weight, and we're eating cookies! haha

Season 14 of The Biggest Loser started this past Sunday night for the 2-night season premiere.  I'm very excited to watch, of course, but I'm even more excited for this season, because each trainer has been assigned a kid to work with throughout the season.  I think it's great that they're bringing in kids to this season, since childhood obesity is such a problem these days.  So, if you're interested, tune in to NBC on Monday night at 8:00pm! You never know what might motivate you to start exercising yourself!

And, for one more picture, here's Colleen and me freshman year! If I remember correctly, this picture was taken within our first few days at Longwood, and we printed it out to hang on our room door by our door decs. I can't believe this was taken about 4 1/2 years ago....where has time gone??

1 comment:

Lindsey McClennahan said...

What a sweet story of you and your friend! : ) Keep up the great posts! Have a great rest of your week! : )