Monday, January 21, 2013

An exercise plan I HATED!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Today, I wanted to tell everyone about something I've been doing for the past two weeks: an exercise routine.

I've come across this 2-week plan several times on Pinterest -- I mean, really, did you expect anything less from me?? As the near year came around, of course everyone has the same idea in mind: they want to be in shape this year. Well, of course not only do I want to be healthy and in shape, but I wanted to try something different. And, dare I say it, I hated doing this 2-week routine. Yep, I said it.

Normally, I go to the gym with an idea in mind of what I'm going to do, i.e. which cardio equipment I'll get on, which free weight exercises I might do, which machines I might use, etc. (Each day, I alternated between 2 different cardio plans, and 2 different resistance training plans.) That's one of the reasons I hated this plan--it told me exactly what to do for cardio and exactly which resistance exercises to do each week. Now, yes, I do know that that is what I got myself into.  I fully understood from the beginning that I was "being told" how to exercise each day.  I just came to realize that I hated that!!  Secondly, there were two rest days built into the routine: the Sunday of the first week, and the Thursday of the second week. The problem isn't that I didn't like having the rest days, because of course I did.  I just didn't like being told which days to rest.  There were even several occasions I know I told Matt & Mom, "I can't wait for Sunday so I don't have to stick to this plan anymore!!" haha

Regardless of me not liking being told "how to exercise," I stuck with it.  I wanted to be able to say I completed it, I didn't give up, and I didn't slack off!  I really hope this doesn't discourage anyone who might be thinking about doing this exercise routine themselves....it just wasn't for me.  I'd much rather go into the gym with the mindset that I normally did and have more variety in the exercises I do. On that note, I hope that if any of you are looking for a good plan to start with to get yourself back into going to the gym, start getting into better shape, tone up, or whatever it may be, give this a try! The link above will take you the site and lists out each cardio plan in great detail, as well as the resistance exercises with instructions & ways to make them harder during the second week.  Good luck!

No comments: