Monday, August 5, 2013

Our Wedding: Old, New, Borrowed & Blue

When it came to this old wedding tradition of having something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue, I didn't even think about it or fret over what I would have to fit each category.  Actually, they just kind of happened.

Before I share what all of those things were, I've got to be honest.  I didn't even know what the purpose or importance of all these things was, so, what do you do when you don't know something? Google it, of course.  Here is the answer I found on The Knot website: 

Something old represents continuity.
Something new offers optimism for the future.
Something borrowed symbolizes borrowed happiness.
Something blue stands for purity, love and fidelity.

So, what were all mine? Here they are!

Something old: My something old could also be my something borrowed, but I had other things for that!  Mom offered me a pair of diamond earrings to wear that my dad had given her a long time ago.  Not only was I glad to finally have something old to wear {no, that doesn't mean I'm calling you old, haha}, but that solved one of the "earring problems!"  You see, I was going to have to come up with three pairs of earrings to wear, and there was one of them! So, those were the earrings I wore in my third hole.  {Sidenote:  I bought new earrings to wear in my first hole, and the earrings I wore in my second hole where the first pair of earrings I ever had....they were the earrings pierced into my first hole....so I guess they can be something old, too!}


Something new: Something new wasn't really that hard to come across, as you buy so many new things for a wedding, ha.  What I went with for my Something New was my dress.  I discuss more about my dress here, so I won't go into so many details about it again.  It was white, was the perfect fabric I wanted, and had just enough bling ;)

Something borrowed: I actually had two somethings borrowed, both from the same person!  My sister had this bracelet that I've always loved since she had it, and I'm pretty sure I asked her forever and a day ago if I could wear it in my wedding as my something borrowed.  Luckily, she said yes :)  Then, some other time down the road, I saw a necklace she had that would go so well with the neckline of my dress, so I asked her if I could borrow that, as well!

The bracelet borrowed from my sister is on my left arm..


Something blue:  Okay, this has to be my favorite thing.  When I knew Matt and I would eventually get married, I had this idea. {Yep, call me crazy!}  I definitely wanted my garter to be blue, but I didn't want a garter you can to pick up for the store...I wanted something that would mean more to us.  So, off I went to Joann Fabrics to find the most perfect Dallas Cowboys fabric ever! haha.  Matt is definitely a Dallas fan. When I saw the fabric, I fell in love with it.  It was kind of blue & white tie dye, with the Cowboys logo and Star on it.  So we had all the materials for a long time, but it quickly was forgotten about! Luckily, in the last week leading up to the wedding, my mom worked her magic on the sewing machine {because after she taught me, I was so slow at it! haha} and made my garter for me!  I was so excited about something I thought of a long time ago to finally be made!  However, from what I hear, I don't think Matt's brother was too excited to find out it was a Dallas Cowboys garter after he caught it...haha.

This was the best picture I could find where you could kind of see the garter..

No comments: