Tuesday, December 17, 2013

25 Days of Christmas: Day 13

I almost wasn't going to post this one, because it was a complete flop for me, and we didn't even eat it {all of it went straight into the trashcan, actually}.  But I figured someone else would probably want to try it, and would most likely have more luck than I did, so I thought I should share it anyway!

I really wanted this caramel popcorn recipe to turn out because 1) I love caramel popcorn, and 2) I was going to love it even more having red and green caramel mixed in!

For me, everything went great right until the end, naturally, but I'll explain that more once I get there.

If you're going to try it yourself, here's what you will need:

Ingredients:
  • 3 bags of buttered and salted popcorn, popped {remove any kernels}
  • 3/4 cup of butter
  • 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
  • 1/4 + 1/8 cup of light corn syrup
  • 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoons of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • red and green food coloring
Directions:

1. Pop all of your popcorn, let it cool, and then place each bag in a 9x13 pan coated with cooking spray. I only had one 9x13 pan, so I was using 2 cookie sheets, as well.
 

2.  In a medium saucepan, melt together butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.


3. Boil over low heat for 5 minutes.


6. Remove from heat and add the baking soda and vanilla.


7. Divide the caramel into the three different pans.


8. In one pan, add red food coloring until you get the desired shade, and then in another pan, do the same with green.


Here's where mine turned disastrous. After adding the food coloring, all of my caramel was instantly solid {evening the pot I didn't add food coloring to}, and I tried putting it back on low heat and stirring it to make it liquid again but it just wouldn't work. I had three solid blobs of caramel! haha. I was so frustrated that everything--all the caramel and popcorn--just ended up in the trash. When I told my family the story, the first thing most everyone said was, "you threw away caramel?!" haha. Sorry, but at 9:30ish at night, I was just done!

If your caramel turned out right, your next steps would be:

9. Pour each pot of caramel over one pan of the popcorn, and toss to coat.

10. Bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, rotating pans and stirring each pan with a spatula coated with cooking spray every 15 minutes.  Cool completely before serving.

No comments: