Monday, December 23, 2013

25 Days of Christmas: Day 19

It was funny as I was making these....I've eaten these cookies probably every Christmas for as long as I can remember, but I don't think I've ever actually made them before. Until now.  {Of course, I have had some of the cookie dough before :) }

My mom makes the besssssst chocolate chip cookies, so I definitely had to include those on this 25 Days of Christmas baking. Plus, Matt's been asking when I'm just going to make a plain chocolate chip instead of something "fancy" or "Christmasy." haha. But, with all the treats we've had in the house, I can't say that I blame him.

My cookies didn't turn out like Mom's, though. They taste the same, yes, but I like how hers come out flatter. I told her I like those better
because there's more cookie to dip in your milk! haha!

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup of Crisco Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening or 3/4 stick Crisco Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
  • 2 tablespoons of milk
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips*
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips* 
*I only use regular sized chocolate chips, so I did about 1 cup of those for my cookies.

Directions:

1. Combine brown sugar, shortening, milk and vanilla in a large bowl.


2. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.


3. Beat egg into the creamed mixture.


4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda.


5. Mix into creamed mixture until just blended.


6. Stir in the chocolate chips.


7. Drop rounded tablespoonsfuls of dough 3 inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.


8. Bake 8-10 minutes for chewy cookies, or 11 to 13 minutes for crisp cookies. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet on a cooling rack. Remove cookies to rack to cool completely.


We did get a couple of bigger ones during the last batch......instead of having eight regular sized ones on the sheet, Matt's idea was to take two of the balls of dough already on the sheet and combine them to make bigger cookies, and this was the result:

No comments: