Wednesday, December 4, 2013

25 Days of Christmas: Day 4

I know all three posts so far have been three different cookies, but if you remember on my Day 1 post, I didn't limit myself to sharing only cookies. Tonight is the first night I'm sharing a treat other than cookies, and trust me, you won't be disappointed!

Whenever we go to the fair, our family lovvvvesss the candied/sugared nuts. They're sooo delicious! I happened to come across a recipe for making candied cinnamon almonds in the crock pot, and my gosh, they were definitely super good! Not exactly like the ones at the fair, but still as tasty and addicting! haha



Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 cups of almonds
  • 1/4 cup of water
Directions:

1. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.


2. In another bowl, with a whisk, mix together the egg white and vanilla  until it is frothy.  Add the almonds and coat thoroughly. This will help the mixture stick to the almonds during the cooking process. Matt actually did this part for me, because it was annoying, and because I was mixing them together in a pot, the sound of the whisking was beyond obnoxious.


3. Prepare your crock pot by spraying it with cooking spray.  Add the coated almonds and the sugar mixture and stir until the almonds are well coated with the sugars/cinnamon.


4. Cook on Low for about 3-4 hours. I think we did ours for 3. Stir every 20 minutes. In the very last hour, add 1/4 cup of water and stir well.  This will ensure a crunchy coating and help the mixture to harden.


5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or waxed paper and spread the almonds out over it. The almonds should be pretty sticky, but do the best you can to spread them out.


Enjoy!!

No comments: